Going back to school can be exciting and stressful for children and parents. Here are 10 steps to the best school year, ever:
- Use Rule #1 Take Care of Yourself
- Love the child you are with – Whatever is going on with your child, it could be useful for their growth– Be non-reactive.
- Be Patient with yourself and others by providing empathy and grace.
- Keep it simple – The more activities, the more things that can go wrong. It’s simple math, the more variables, the harder the problem.
- Don’t take things personal. Your perspective is going to be different than others (child, spouse, teacher, principal, etc.) and visa-versa.
- If someone is upset, it is not about you. Let it (anger, frustration and resentment) go.
- Housekeeping (internal and external) can wait until you have the energy and/or the time.
- Divvy up the chores. Children learn responsibility and build confidence when they contribute to the household.
- Save the lectures/lessons for when everyone is in a good place.
- Have fun!
Simple yet not always easy. It would be my honor to assist you in making this the best school year, ever.